With March comes not just the end of our grey days but ... National Quilting Month!! I always thought spring was a perfect time to renew ourselves into our favorite passion. I mean, really, it takes a special kind of person to cut up perfectly good material and then take hours and hours to sew it all back together right?!
Rules For a Busy Quilter
- When you're "In the Zone" the sewing room is off-limits to everyone else. How many times has a family member or a phone call gotten you off track and it's impossible to get right back to that sweet spot of production? Don't be afraid to SHUT THE DOOR!
- NOT make perfect but it will make for better art/quilts. Also since there is no such thing as perfection, those pretty quilts you see online aren't perfect either.
- Allow yourself to experiment and step out of your comfort zone even if at first it's not as good as your "usual stuff". Your usual stuff wasn't that good, to begin with, either.
Spend time taking pieces to completion. Yes, that means quilting, binding, labeling, and photographing. Having the piece truly, completely done with gives you a sense of achievement and closure on the piece.
- YES is not always the answer to every project, show, challenge, gift that crosses your path.
More is not always more.
- Always have a cheering section and when you run across a critic remember that have NO hope of doing what you can do.
- Finally, this is supposed to be fun. Bleeding for your art is really not a thing.
(I swear I'm going to start labeling these my pep talk posts!! No matter how many times I write them - I think if I need to be reminded someone out there needs to be reminded!)
SO WHAT HAVE YOU'VE BEEN UP TO CREATIVELY?