Friday, July 21, 2023

When Your Big Idea Changes on Off the Wall Friday

Our Classroom at Marc Adams School of Woodworking and Time Honor Crafts

Okay, let me start by saying, this is not this clown's first rodeo.  When I get ready for a 5-day design class, I normally have a plan in mind of how it's going to go.  This week with Timna Tarr's Stitched Mosaic was no different.  Since I took this exact same class last year, I thought no problem.  You pick a pretty picture - you edit - you place fabrics - you sew - you get your pretty picture in fabric.  Right?

Well, apparently not.

It started off pretty normal.  I picked a picture.  I drew my grid.  I decided which elements I wanted to keep and which elements could go.


Blocked out my colors - which I now realize I really didn't have to do because ... sunflower field scene...greens, orange-yellows, blue sky ... not rocket science.



After making my little patterns and sewing up a few, it should start to come together...


But it did not...it's a mess.

End of Day 3...still a mess


On Day 4, I had an epiphany.  Recreating this photo into fabric was not where this piece was going.  Actually, it started to look like I took the photo and abstracted it out and I LOVED that idea.  So I got out some paper and started changing out elements of the photo by creating new templates.  I made a conscious choice not to be too fussy making all the lines met perfectly.  I decided that the piece would be just an impression of a girl in a sunflower field..not an actual depiction of the girl.  


So this is where I finished up Day 4...


Cool Right?

5-Day classes are hard.  You're trying to learn and create outside the security of your own studio with new people all around you.  I'm blessed that Marc Adams School of Woodworking gave us a wonderful space and my classmates are great...but....I'll be truthful, I was struggling.  Now, however, I think I'm on the right path and I have a clear composition of where this piece is heading!  

If you want a good review of this class and Marc Adams - you can see last year's here.  It's just as great this year.

And Timna Tarr is amazing too!  Here she is with her latest Work In Progress!

Timna Tarr 

I'll have a class rap up next week...for now, I'm beat.  Our classes have been going 8-5 with about a 45 min lunch, which is a long day!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?



 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

This is FABULOUS!!! THe best pieces are always the most excruciating. Brava for perserverance!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, that is looking amazing!!!!

Melva said...

It looks wonderful! You've got this!

gretchen said...

This class was sooo much fun - and it was so nice to meet you! Hope you'll post a finished shot. Take care :)

Nina Marie said...

Gretchennnnn - I'll definitely be posting the progress on this piece. This whole blog is mostly the ups and downs of my WIP's plus anything that I find interesting in the art world. Last year when I got home, I really had no idea of how I was going to get to the end. BUT this year, I really do have a clearer vision. I want to work the right side over a bit plus it will be fun to see how her hat turns out - but I'm feeling more confident for sure! Thanks so much for putting up with me this week - I always get anxious in class!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I think abstractions and other interpretations are always more exciting than a basic recreation of a photo. Yours is looking great!

Celine said...

That's amazing!