Friday, July 14, 2023

Getting Ready for More Mosaics on Off the Wall Friday

 After much angst,  I did manage to come up with a photo for my upcoming Timna Tarr's Stitched Mosiac class.  Good thing too since it starts on Monday morning!  I did do a lot of research, but ultimately I took the easy way out and bought a picture from IStock.  


Points that lead to this choice

  1. It has the same joyful theme that Tessa's Mosaic does so it will form a series
  2. The color palettes will be similar
  3. No faces to obsess about
  4. Hands that I know how to do
  5. Landscape orientation

You see, somewhere in my research it dawned on me that starting a series of mosaics would not be a bad idea.  Timna's farm animals series is really strong not just because of the subject matter but because she used similar construction methods, emotional themes, and the size of pieces.  

With the inspirational picture chosen, all that was left was to pack.  With this class, that's pretty easy and you bring all the scraps you own.  (Good thing I had most of them still packed up from last year!)  Now you might think, "Nina, can't you just bring the colors you see in the picture?"  Well ... no.  Our job as artists is not to just replicate the photo.  I mean why do that?  You already have a perfectly good photo that you paid $12 for.  No, our job is to breathe new life into the photo and for that, you need a full palette of colors.

Last year's class complete with scraps everywhere

Of course, don't even ask me how I'm going to, "Breathe new life" into this photo - but I'm sure that it will occur to me once I start running my fingers through my scraps next week.

Plus there will be 6 other quilters in the class who I can unload share your scraps with. 

Okay now under things I like....

I found this quote from the play "The Shape of Things" by Neil Labute concerning shock art which made me laugh...

"Anybody can be provocative or shocking. Stand up in class and take a piss. Paint yourself blue and run naked through a church screaming out the names of people you’ve slept with. Is that Art, or did you just forget to take your Ritalin?”

I know right?  So over shock art....not impressed at all!


So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

Barbara Lockwood said...

I can't wait to see how you transform that photo. Have a great week.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I can see why you chose this photo, it has such exuberance. You are going to have great fun working on it.