Friday, July 28, 2023

Last Day of Mosaics on Off the Wall Friday

 

By Gretchen VanNostrand

Contrary to how last week's post read, I really did have a good time on my creative vacation.  I try to do at least one week a year to recharge my batteries and this week surely did.  It wasn't that the piece really lead me to new ideas, but more the people that surrounded me were a pleasure.

One of which was Gretchen VanNostrand of West Virginia.  Gretchen has been quilting for about 20 years, but she specializes in fabric bags and organizers.  So she walked into the class never really having tried anything like this technique before. But let me tell ya, you'd never had known it!  She started with a picture of her beloved Fluffy...a lifelong friend.


Then she proceeded to work diligently from 8 am to 5 pm every day of class.  So many times, I had to stop myself from just chatting with her because I didn't want to break her flow.  Here it is finished... Amazing Right?!?


Fluffy, Gretchen VanNostrand

After my wasteful first couple of days, this is where I finished. Next, I want to do her shirt, hair, and back.  Luckily I have this technique down so I really don't find it daunting.    I'm traveling this week so I haven't quite gotten back to my studio yet.  Truth be known, I haven't unpacked my studio yet.  I'm lucky I got my clothes washed.  BUT SOON.  This is a piece that is not going to linger on my design board.

WIP Sunflowers

Something about the sunflowers I find interesting.  Also, I love that finally, I've gotten my Janome Horizon to successfully machine applique with monofilament thread.  If anybody is wondering, I used the "Automatic" Tension, a 70/10 needle, and decoBob in the bobbin.  WOW!  Made a huge difference.  I really can see myself trying to do a fully machine applique piece soon based on organic shapes rather than 2-1/2" squares.  (Yes I have a passion for sunflowers - here is my first silk painted piece from a few years ago)

As always, I recommend you take a creative vacation!  John C. Campbell just released their upcoming classes.  Or track down Timna Tarr - 'cause she's great!  Or there still are quilt conferences going on throughout the country - Empty Spools, QSDS, and of course my beloved QBL.  JUST DO IT!!

Since I'm traveling, I'll keep this short this week!

So Have You Been Up to Creatively?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Gretchen's art quilt is beautiful! I like your sunflowers, so beautiful. I look forward to viewing it finished in a week or two. Have a good weekend with lots of happy stitching time!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I just love how this joyful piece is taking shape!

Gretchen VanNostrand said...

Nina! Thank you for featuring my project on your blog - I feel special ;-). It was REALLY nice spending the week with you… hope we meet again sometime in the stitchiverse!