Friday, August 4, 2023

Homeward Bound BOM Continues on Off the Wall Friday

One down - 3 more to go

 It's always hard to get back into the swing of things after a vacation, isn't it?  At least that is what I found this week.  I did manage to get my studio unpacked and finally looked at my Block of the Month, Homeward Bound.

Sighhhhhhh

I had a few rules  parameters when I started this journey last January.

  • Stick to the pattern
  • Stick to the technique the designer was teaching
  • Finish each month on time
I was doing so well......then came July and it all got shot to hell.

Here it is, the first week of August and I only got about 1/4 of July done.  Of course, I did spend 2 weeks of July traveling, but still, I should have planned better.  

Not to mention, I finally called uncle, and used a few different techniques that weren't what Sarah
Fielke suggested.  Last month we were suppose to applique  24 ... yes you read that right ....24..3/8" circles.  The last time I did some that small, they all came out kinda wonky.  That was using the cardboard tin foil method.  So this time, I pulled out my new applipops to see if I could get better results.  The answer was yes!  After watching this helpful video, I did manage to get them to come out mostly circular.  The prep time of the circles might take a bit longer but the applique time was quick.

I did do a visual test on what color the circles should be  - sticking to the adage to make visual decisions visually.  


The dotted teal won out!

Sarah has given us three months to get these borders hand appliqued, so I figure I have time to catch up.  Not to mention, I'm slowly working my way through 7 seasons of West Wing...again.

Under  Things I Like...

I finally gave in and bought a pair of Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors.  Timna Tarr said she
liked them and the 6" size was something I really have needed for a while.  Plus they have one blade that is straight (that can be sharpened) and one blade that was micro serrated (that will grip the fabric better for more accurate cutting).  Of course, I've heard quilters from all walks of life swear by them.  

After using them for a few weeks, I can say I really like the size and the narrow little point they come to.  I'm not sold though on the serrated blade since I'm used to a smooth cut of the straight blade of my Kai's.   BUT I do love the size and find myself reaching for them just as much as my Kai's,

I still love my Kai Professional Series Scissors though - I have the 7170 and just love, love, love them. I mean you can't beat the action of the scissors plus they really do cut through fabric like butter.   I might ask for the Kai's 6" 7150's for Christmas and see if I like those.  

I mean really...can a girl have too many scissors?

So what do you think about your scissors?



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

Laceflower said...

I do love the Buckley scissors, I have the large pair and the tiny pair. Don't seem to use my older scissors at all any more. Oooooo, love West Wing, what platform are you viewing it on?

Nina Marie said...

I watch the West Wing on Max (HBO/Max). We got rid of our cable about 3 years ago and now I have as many streaming services I want and it's still about $120 cheaper a month - plus now I can watch what I want when I want.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I rarely turn to fused appliqué, but I would have been tempted with all those mini circles. Your perseverance paid off.

Celine said...

Wow 24 micro circles that's a lot!