Me: Wellllll, yes
Me: No, art
Her: Art? Whyyyyyyyyy????????
Good Question! I mean truly, why would someone take 25 years of their life learning how to sew art when they could learn how to sew perfectly good clothes? That took some thought and here's what I came up with.
1. I was called to create. I always have been creating something and at age 25 I finally chose that fabric was going to be my medium. My God made me unique and part of my uniqueness (apparently) includes creating. Its just who I am.
2. The puzzle and challenge of art - I mean, I see it in my mind's eye - so how am I'm going to convey it to the rest of the world?? Its the constant challenge that I love and the fact that its never quite right - but its never quite wrong that is totally fascinating to me.
3. Its uniquely me. There is nothing else that I do that is so more me. I love when someone can see my work and say - WoW, I knew that one was yours! Good or bad - its an original Nina
4. The connection. I love creative people - they are fun, strange, interesting, outrageous, etc The people I have met on my creative journey are the most fascinating individuals one could hope to find and I wouldn't have been met them if I wasn't one of them.
5. To make the World a better place. I know some artists have important political agendas to pursue with their art. I don't. I just want to make things that are pretty and interesting. Once, when I expressed this sentiment, a fellow artist looked at me like obviously I wasn't
6. For something to do that isn't work. My husband Paul, who is an accomplished woodworker, said if he didn't create out in his shop then it would seem like all he did was get up - go to work - come home - watch TV and go to bed. Only to wake up the next day to repeat the whole mundane process again. When you create there is always something to new to discover.
So you get my drift. Creating is important to me. Also, in reflection, this blog has been a true blessing because I can share this journey with my reader.
Why do you Create? Is there something I left out?