Friday, November 14, 2014

10 Gifts that Quilters Want! Off the Wall Friday


The 11+ inches of snow Erie got today, was the signal that maybe its time to start thinking about the holidays.  Does your significant other ever wonder what to get you?  Do you ever wonder what you really need? Mine does. . . so I thought I would make a list of gifts that any quilt/fiber/textile (or whatever LOL!) artist would like to get.


1.  Prepared for Dyeing (PDF)  Fabric and a gift card to Dharma Trading Co. or Prochem Dye.  Most every quilt artist I know loves to play with dyes but hates to spend the money!   Giving blank fabric is  like giving a million possibilities waiting to happen. (PDF can be found at Testfabrics, Equilter, Joann's online etc)

2.   A Pincushion or  Bobbin Box.  I know mundane right? But I get a lot of compliments on mine  (cute but functional). Also, I  just found these amazing bobbin boxes that are just right (sturdy plastic, holds the bobbins tight)

3. Derwent Inktense Pencils.  These pencils let an artist easily achieve a watercolor painter effect on fabric!  Several color sets are available.

4. DrinkKlip.  Every quilter I knows likes to  have her favorite drink nearby while she's working.  Now she can without spilling it on what she's working on.

5. A Great Creative Book.  Suggestions?  The Creative Habit by T. Tharp, The Artist Way by J. Cameron, Art & Fear by D. Bayles, Bird by Bird by A. Lamott

6. Thread.  A gift certificate to Superior Threads or Red Rock Threads is always welcome since there is always some new thread a quilter needs.


7.  A Magazine Subscription.  FiberArts Now, Quilting Arts and American Quilter would be my favs!

8.   Gelli Printing Plate and Brier.  This is a new product that a fiber artist probably doesn't have but is easy enough to provide plenty of hours of play!

9.  An Online Quilting Class - There are all sorts of formats to choose from - video classes you keep, Quilting Colleges that host a whole selection of classes and teachers, private teachers . (My mother gave me Elizabeth Barton's Masterclass last year and you know how much I enjoyed that!)


10. Time!  A gift box certifying a set block of time just to sew and create - without interruption  - is an amazing gift!  

 Okay!  So what did I leave out??
  What's on your Creative Christmas List????? 

oh and . . . .

What have you been up to Creatively? 


18 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Love your Christmas list! It's a fun one. I love the cup holder! I think it would be great to hold my water for painting because then the cat couldn't knock it over! I need to find one!!!

Kaja said...

Great list- I'd be happy with any of these!

Beth said...

Boy, you hit that nail on the head AND drove it home!!!

Maggi said...

What a really useful list. The one gift that I would be eternally grateful for would be time!

Norma Schlager said...

All great ideas and so cleverly presented.

Christine Staver said...

Oh the lake effect snow. Was just talking about that on Wednesday in class! Good ideas for gifts.

Nina Marie said...

Ohhh Chris - you should see - it was snowing 1 - 2" an hour! We were only suppose to get 1-3" and now our fav weather forcaster says his name is Mud - LOL!! He can't go anywhere in town without people teasing him! Too funny - lake effect is ridiculous to predict!

Sylvia said...

Love the cup holder!

quiltedfabricart said...

Love the list! Now I can email this to all my friends and family and actually f
Get something useful - thank you

Susan Lenz said...

Thanks for the tip about Derwent Inktense pencils. I've never heard of them but am curious!
Susan

Nina Marie said...

I love the pencils! I used them especially when I don't want to get out my paints and need to do something a little more detailed - they work fabulously!

Afton Warrick said...

Those are great gift ideas. For #2, I really like the magnetic dishes they have a Harbor Freight Tools for keeping safety pins, and the Clover Magnetic Pincushion. Since I have little ones, I probably wouldn't keep a cup that low down (#4), but I could always use it as a holder for a bag of chocolates. As for #6, thread is always great and easily consumed (not in the same way as the chocolate). Aurifil has the most beautiful boxed sets. A gift card to a quilt shop or fabric store is always welcome too! Best Press has a Frankincense and Myrrh scent now, which would be a fun gift.

Linda Steele said...

I absolutely love your list, what great ideas, I'd be happy with any of those things

Anonymous said...

great list...I would be happy with any of them!! Love the drink clip!!

Anonymous said...

Quilting is an art that needs patience, experience, and skill. You may find difficulty in finalizing a gift for the quilter you know. Wonderful gift suggestions for quilters.

Unknown said...

Today i am feeling very happy because of this website. Just now i have visit this website and read all information attentively. After reading your information now i got idea about cool presents for men . I think every visitor will be satisfy for your information. Thanks for your post.

Best Products Hunter said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful and informative info. I really liked your website bookmarking it to check more stuff at spare times. Good Luck.
http://www.luckies.co.uk

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.