Friday, November 7, 2014

Orphism - The Voice of Light - Off the Wall Friday

Sonia Delaunay, Market at Minho,1915
So I wasn't kidding a couple of weeks ago, when I said I was scattered!  My house was scattered, my work was scattered, my life - in general - scattered.  Seeing it in print, made me realized that I was craving to bring chaos into order.  And that's exactly what I've been doing - de-cluttering the house, facing pieces from this year, finishing up the edges on the The Curves.  As things get done, its rewarding to see a plan come together.


F. Kupka  Amorpha: Fugue in Two Colors II
That said, its given me time to - to borrow a favorite term from Elizabeth Barton - cogitate!  I mean nothing like sewing 5 - count them - 5 bobbins worth of edges to have time to think.  Working on The Curves, has reminded me how much I've fallen in love with the piece.  I mean curves, color and value - what's not to love?  So I thought I would start planning my piece for Sacred Threads in that direction.

In research for the piece, I stumbled upon an art movement called Orphism.  Orphism developed  during the early 20th century from cubism and narrowed its vision on pure abstraction with bright colors.  It is perceived to be  fundamental in the transit from Cubism to Abstraction.  Now if you've never heard of Orphism - I bet you'd recognize it when you saw it.  Artists like Robert and Sonia Delaunay, Marcel Duchamp, Fernand Leger, Francis Ficaba and Franz Kupka all figured greatly in the movement.

Robert Delauney,  Homeage to Bleriot
I'm sure you can see why I'm drawn to the movement  and how I can see how its going to inspire me onto my next piece.  When I look at these pieces I see joy, movement, spontaneity - all things that work nicely into the idea of my spirituality.


Sonia Delaunay, Electric Prisms

So What have you been up to creatively??

8 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am pretty sure I am not near as creative as you - but I totally understand the scattered! And all the lists in the world aren't helping lol

your work is just stunning and I enjoy seeing your photos!

Julia Graber said...

Thank you for sharing. Your posts continue to inspire me.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

How are you Miss Nina??! I haven't heard from you in a long while! Sandy and I talked about getting together the three of us again. :) We really need to make that happen and catch up.

I still stop in and see what you're up to - it looks like quite a lot too. :) Everything looks wonderful and you are inspiring me with each post as always!

Anonymous said...

Love circles, love Sonia Delaunay. Thanks for posting these. I linked with my shibori circles.
Diane

Maggi said...

Love the energy and colour of these pieces. I feel inspired.

Margaret said...

I too researched the Delauneys and Orphism earlier this year -- in EB's "Abstract Art for Quilt-makers" online class. Love the colour, the organic curves, the proportions...I can see why you're inspired! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love the exuberance! And looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Regina B Dunn said...

Thank you for introducing me to Orphism. I like all the circles and curves, but I sure wouldn't want to piece a design like that. :)