Friday, January 12, 2024

A Return to Off the Wall Friday

Women Ironing, 1884–86. Edgar Degas

First I want to say a big thank you for all the kind words I received over the last couple of months.  This has been the first significant break I took from blogging and it was really needed.  I've learned that my creative journey has had its ups and downs over the years, and it's okay.  To quote my friend, Rhonda, just "Don't give up",  So I'm not.  

I'm officially back in my studio!  It's funny to get back into your studio and think, "Okay, where was I?"


  I left off at hand appliqueing Month 9 of the Quilt Show's BOM 2023.  The task-oriented side of me is kinda bummed I didn't finish it in 2023, but then I reminded myself that not many people were actually doing it by hand.  Besides, the idea is not to beat yourself up....the idea is "Don't give up!"  So I am going to endeavor to applique in the evenings when I'm relaxing to my favorite audiobooks.

Also, on my 2024 To-Do list is to finish up the Sunflower Girl I started in Timna Tarr's Mosaic stitch class last July.  She's been sitting right where I left her when I unpacked and like Paul said - she looks lonely.  I want to finish her up before I leave for John C. Campbell in March (more on that in a later post!)

Woman Ironing, c. 1869. Edgar Degas

We did find time to get over to the Cleveland Museum of Art to see the exhibit, "Degas and the Laundress: Women, Work, and Impressionism."  So we all know Degas' fascination with dancers, but he also had a great interest in the working-class women of Paris.  Over his lifetime, the laundress series spanned 30 paintings.  I was a little surprised that he found the "lowly laundress" so fascinating.  I mean, a male painter depicting women actually going through their normal day's work with their clothes on!  Who would thunk?!  Not to mention, he had people commission pieces from the series, so he wasn't the only one who found the laundress interesting.  The exhibit while not huge was sooooooo good!  Along with Degas, it also included works of his contemporaries, Gustave Caillebotte, Berthe Morisot, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec to name a few.

Under Things I Like....

Do you have your favorite YouTubers?  Lately, we've been watching a lot of YouTube.  One of our favorite vloggers is Baumgartner Restoration.  Julian Baumgartner takes you along on his journey conserving paintings.  I'm not sure what is more fascinating the care and attention he brings to his work or the difference between the "Before" and "After".  One warning, this channel is addicting!  Julian has the nicest voice and way about him.  

What are your favorite YouTube channels?

soooooooooooo

It's very - very - good to say - once again....

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Welcome back and thanks so much for keeping this linky party going. I so enjoy your posts. How fortunate to see some of Degus works. I did not know about the Laundresses as subjects. So interesting. Hand work is always soothing; work with you hands gets you out of your head is an old expression that I may not be quoting correctly but you know what I mean. Maybe the laundresses knew that feeling too.

Margaret said...

So good to see you again; I know well how grief can pack a punch!

I didn't know Degas favoured laundresses as well as ballerinas. Me? My favourite laundress is (was?) Mrs. Tiggy Winkle from Beatrix Potter's children's books. I still have the book; it was sent to my mother when I was a baby (don't ask how long ago that was but let's just say, I'm old enough to be your mother). Mrs. T. is/was a hedgehog with a lucrative laundry service, just so you know!

I learned to iron as a kid and enjoyed it (it was MUCH more fun and rewarding than dusting -- still is!). I can iron a man's dress shirt, in case anyone needs that done. Nowadays I iron only fabric for my quilting and cross-stitch projects before they're Fully Finished.

Wishing you many blessings for the rest of 2024...will hopefully link a blog post before this linky 'party' is up. Hugs!

https://www.gwynedtrefethen.com/life-of-an-artist/adversity/ said...

It's not easy redeveloping the studio rhythm after time away. Seems as though you have done a great job picking up where you left off. Routine is part of the grieving and stumbling forward again process.

Glad to have you back. You share the best art experiences.

dq said...

I haven't popped in for awhile and have been a little absent in blogland, but I was sorry to read about your loss. I hope you and yours are finding peace.
Your Quilt Show applique' project is lovely.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Nina Marie, welcome back. I hope that your time off was helpful. I'm sorry for your loss. Take care.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I don’t have anything to link up but I have a couple of random YouTube sites I enjoy. Slapped Ham - a paranormal one, and Not Your Dad’s CPA - for online sellers.