Word of the Year? PRODUCTIVITY
I was looking back at 2015 and I didn't get much done. I had a lot of good intentions and a lot of good ideas and actually a lot of time but some how they didn't manage to combine enough for me to get enough done. Well, at least, not in my mind's eye. So something needs to give.
So I thought that in the quest for better productivity, I would try to manage my time better. These tips are as much for me as for you!!
Time Management Tips
- Create a Calendar - Not only set studio days and times but also what projects you are going to work on that day. Make sure all tools and supplies are ready when you walk into the studio for the days work by prepping the day before.
- Schedule Studio time during your Peak Creative Time. Are you an early bird like me? Then get into the studio at 7 am instead of starting laundry and straightening the kitchen
- Set Work Intervals with scheduled breaks - ie - work an hour - take a 10 min break - working in intervals will help you work for a longer period of time in the end
- Create a To-Do List - Check it off - You'll feel accomplished!
- Don't Multi-Task - Don't check email, don't load laundry, don't check on dinner in the oven - all these things are just pulling you away from your creative flow
- Say NO - Don't let your everyday life hone in on your creative life and don't apologize for it
- Identify Procrastinating Time Wasters - Let's face it - we all have them. Identifing the time wasters will help us to conquer them.
- Set Small Goals and reward yourself when you reach them
- Set Date Deadlines - open ended projects tend to go unended
- Make Yourself Accountable to Someone Else - use an artist partner or use Off the Wall Friday to report your progress
- Leave Your Next Step ready for your next studio day
So what have you been up to Creatively?