Friday, October 22, 2021

The Cherrywood Challenge on Off the Wall Friday

 

Grafitti in Erie, Pennsylvania

 So I have a secret.  Well to be honest, it's not really a secret to anybody who knows me....I'm a bit competitive.  In fact, I'm so competitive that it could get completely out of hand.  About 10 years ago, I decided that I would no longer compete in anything...at all. That said, I do allow myself to compete


against myself which is still fun but a lot less destructive to my psyche.  With all the other issues in the last two years, I haven't even done that really...until now.  

I decided to do the Cherrywood Challenge this year.  Even though I dye my own fabric, I absolutely LOVE their work! Their fabric has a super soft suede hand with gorgeous saturated colors.  Really, it's like nothing I've ever seen before.  For the last 7 years, they have been hosting a challenge all centered around a central theme.  The rules are pretty easy.  You buy the kit of fat quarters and design a 20" square using only those fabrics featuring the theme. Past themes included Prince, Princess Diana, the Lion King, and Bob Ross.  I've found all the past themes intriguing but never enough for me to make the plunge. (Well, I would have done the van Gogh, but I found out about it too late - aduh on me!)

 That is until now.  This year's theme is Graffiti.  I absolutely love street art.  Maybe it's because I've lived most of my life in a rural town or maybe it's the bold colors or maybe it's just the idea of outlaw art but I honestly am fascinated by it.  That all said, I've never taken time to research and study the evolution of street art.

The Cherrywood Challenge gives me the perfect excuse without making a huge project commitment.  I mean anybody can finish a 20" square right?  Plus OMG  the colors are bold and gorgeous with a nice few pieces of grey neutrals.  Plus a yard of mistyfuse is included which is good because I really should get used to using this light weight fusible more.  The best part of the challenge is that you are only allowed to use the fabrics


included in the kit BUT you are encourage to use any other kind of art supply to embellish your creation.  So that means get out your paints, dyes, inks, beads etc!!

With my kit in hand, I'm really excited to begin.  The first thing I have to do is research and I want to play with lettering.  I'll keep you apprise of my progress!!  Please let me know if you decide to join in!


So What Have You've Been Up to Creatively?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

I have been so terribly tempted with this challenge, so I'll be waiting to see what you submit (don't know if you can show it). Cherrywood fabrics are amazing and great to work with. If you haven't seen the British documentary "Exit Through The Gift Shop" I'd recommend it if you like outlaw art.

DVArtist said...

I am working on leather sculptures today. Sounds like a fun competition.