Friday, July 13, 2018

Getting Ready for Quilting by the Lake 2018 - Off the Wall Friday

Its that time of year again, when I need to start my research for my upcoming class at Quilting by the Lake.  This year I'm taking a class with Jeannette DeNicolis Meyer called  Sheer Play.  It will be an exploration of layering sheer silk organza using different techniques.  I'm really excited since I've been wanting to take this class for years now and just am getting the chance now.  To me what is so exciting is that we can play with creating texture and using light wherein traditional quilting with the three layers (cotton, batting, cotton) light doesn't play into the piece.

One of the things we are going to explore is
Bojagi or Pojagi (depending on who you ask).  It's the Korean tradition of the wrapping of gifts or important objects in decorative fabric.  This evolved throughout time into a specific technique of sewing together scraps into these wrappings.  Fiber artists today use this method because the seams create such an interest element in their work.  Sometimes the seams are placed very intentionally while others are more random.

The whole thing excites me.  The idea of using seams to create line and texture.....of adding the element of light to a piece and how that will change how a viewer sees the piece as the day or display changes....the idea that we will paint white silk and bring it to light.  All  - Very - Exciting!!

Once I realized I was going to take this class last summer, I was looking at seams in a whole different way.  This is a piece that I made during QBL last year from the back side - with the sunlight going through.  So interesting.


Anyways - as always - you'll see how the class goes!!

What Have You Been up to Creatively?


8 comments:

Vera Holmgren said...

I love the Pojagi technique! Martha Wolfe had an instruction on Quilting Arts Series 2000.

Jo said...

I'll eagerly await your reaction to your course. I took it from Meyers about 3 years ago and have been using what I learned ever since (except for the pojagi seams.)

Lynda said...

That workshop sounds awesome. I look forward to hearing more about it.

For the love of geese said...

The class sounds like something I would be interested in so I look forward to your blogging about it. Thank you for hosting the linky party. @fortheloveofgeese

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I want to take her class!! I am so jealous and I really look forward to hearing about what you learned.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Looks like a fabulous opportunity. Can't wait to see what you with the lessons learned.

quiltedfabricart said...

I saw the pojagi on a show once and remember it being beautiful and far from anything I could do myself. Quilting on the lake is the perfect place to learn. Enjoy!

Norma Schlager said...

I saw some of these Korean pieces in Houston a few years ago and was blown away. I'm sure it will be a fascinating class and I look forward to seeing your results.