Friday, November 20, 2015

The French Knot - Off the Wall Friday


Did I tell you that Pinterest is the motherload of all great ideas?  Well it is. . . .truly.  Earlier this year, I ran across this great pin of a textile art piece called, 10,000 French Knots by Jeana Eve Klein.  Wow!  I mean, Wow!  Now that's that's a great idea to take one solitary little knot and combine them into a explosion of color and texture.  Adding in the mark of the hand and one great title and you have a hit on your hands!!

I pinned the image of the piece but did not forget it.  While working on my latest piece which is basically a study of fragmented pieces of value and color  combined to create a whole, it brought back to mind how that one little french knot brought together made a really big statement.  I wanted to play with that!  I mean why let Jeana have all the fun?

Now you might not know, but my day job is placing clothing orders for ladies who still shop in catalogs. I love it!   My mouth is busy 40 hours a week but my hands not so much.  I thought, Gee. . . .I could slip in a french knot here and there.  Plus I do have all that embroidery floss left over from when I never  was seen without my needle and cross stitch bars.  Well, this week, its become and obsession.  I did all the work on this project at work including the initial sketch and starting the stitching.

Who knew that making french knots could be so rewarding?  If you don't  how to make one  there is a great tutorial on WikiHow.  Now, Jeana's piece is 18" by 16" but you know how I am  - More is More  - so I'm planning mine to be  70" by 70".  Yeah, I know what you're thinking, OMG, Nina has lost her mind - but did I mention that I spent 40 hours a week talking with free hands??  And I am the woman who did a 4200 english paper piecing quilt by hand, so I know it can be done.  Well at least in a year or two or 5!!
Day 3

So anyways - I'll keep you apprised of the project as it progresses.  Since this year is officially dedicated to Steal like an Artist, Jeana has promised me an interview so I can share with you how she came up with such a fabulous idea and what is her creative process.

So what have been up to creatively?

16 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

That is beautiful-just a simple French knot!

Judy Warner said...

I love French knots! They haunted me for many years and finally I learned how to make them. Now they are one of my favorite stitches. Can't wait to see where your new passion takes you!

Julie Bagamary said...

Maybe French knots are the answer to a challenge piece that I am stuck on currently.

The Inside Stori said...

Me too......I love French Knots.......they provide a much or as little impact as desired!

jenclair said...

I love French knots and Colonial knots, too. Hand embroidery is so meditative!

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

WOW! That French Knot job looks very tedious! It is beautiful!

Julierose said...

Oh now i LOVE that french knot idea--I like repetitive crafty stuff--and this is just right up my alley--you have given me a great idea for my 365th Circle of the year---thank you for an amazing post--I will be enchanted to see how your piece comes out--loving the colors so far...amazing hugs--you really know how to use your "free hands" time hugs, Julierose

quiltedfabricart said...

Wow! Looking forward to the interview. Doing them at work is perfect :-)

Julierose said...

P.S. oops--but the circle is thee on the post...;--)))

Angela said...

Love the french knots. I have probably thousands over the years!

Linda A. Miller said...

Lovely work. I love making french knots!

Margaret said...

I enjoy French knots...in moderation. I really took a liking to them after taking a hand-stitch class with Gail Harker, who maintained that "sloppy" French knots were to be celebrated, not frowned upon. :-)

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, this is no crazier than those using beads in the same way - maybe less! I'm lovin' it so far, the subtle colors you are building up with your knots. Dare I say a bit pointillist in nature?

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

Another lover of the french knot here! Who knew there were so many of us! It's hard to stop once you get started.

Linda M said...

I love french knots too! Can't wait to see where you take them with this project.

debby said...

I saw her work at the San Jose Quilt Museum and was very inspired by it as well. I have always included french knots in my work, but now I am including even more :)