Friday, February 14, 2014

The Sketches - Off the Wall Friday

As promised here are my three sketches.

The first is a return to my praise ladies series.  Once again the main problem with this one is that it implies movement rather than covey it.  Also Elizabeth felt that the "Halos" looked too iconic - which upon reflection - I think she's right.  I think varying the poses of the three ladies would help - that said - I think this is the beginning of a good idea.  But maybe not for this week. Or this month.


The second was a little stronger.  I can't tell you how many of these I drew during the week - this being the one I liked the best.  Elizabeth was bothered by the ray going into the other ray - but I did that on purpose creating a focal point.  I think with the right palette this would be very cool.  hmmm maybe . . . . or maybe not. . . .


The third was the strongest. The use of texture and value could totally make this piece great.  On the other hand - how to create all that texture and value????  Not often - if ever - am I stumped on how to create a design. sigggghhhh - then this one came along.   I first thought I would pick a palette and rough edge applique pieces into the composition.  But I thought it would come off too graphic - too 2-D - even with the quilt line added at the end.

THEN I got the idea to do it whole cloth and add the texture with quilting.  At first I thought I would do it by hand - but since I have a life  need to get this done by the end of the month  I think I'll do it by machine - which ought to be interesting. 

I've never attempted to put that much stitching into a project - adding values as well as texture  with just thread should be a new adventure.  I guess that's what a master class is suppose to be  - exploring new topics - practicing old ones and stretching beyond your normal way of creating.

I'm quite sure I said to Elizabeth - something along the lines - just throw them into the deep end and see if they can swim!

Ohhh and Hug! Hug!! - Kissy! Kissy!  Happy Valentines Day!




So what have you been up creatively?

21 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I m loving that last one! Right on. Can't wait to see it in progress

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I love the last one too! So stretch yourself and do it whole cloth! I missed the 10 day cutoff so I'm flying on my own. I too look at this class as a stretch, so I am going to do a human form whole cloth-it could possibly be awful! I have never, literally never done the human form in cloth. So I'm stretching with you!

quilthexle said...

I love all three sketches - but I agree, No 3 is the most challenging one. Have fun with the stitching - I'm sure it will be gorgeous !

Anonymous said...

The third is just so beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ineke said...

Definitly the third one. A whole cloth with a lot of quilting. Yummie!!

The Inside Stori said...

Yup...you chose well.....it's fabulous!

Norma Schlager said...

I also like the third one and think that quilting it for the textures will be fabulous. Hope to see it soon.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

You've convinced me. Don't settle for the first design, but create design after design after design. Your designs are strong, but that last one has WOW factor.

quiltedfabricart said...

I can tell what a good teacher Elizabeth is, she tells you what she thinks and doesn't coddle. I like the first sketch a lot and I think of you and hopefully when you put this to fabric you would blend those halos so they aren't as pronounced. It's a great sketch.

Vera Holmgren said...

I think #3 is great and I'm really looking forward to see the result of your quilting.

Heather Pregger said...

I love #3! It's a very strong composition, and I can't wait to see how you recreate it in fabric!

Rachel said...

I immediately thought 'thread painting' when I saw the third sketch. It will be fantastic!

Sylvia said...

I am looking forward to seeing how your stitching turns out!

Marilyn Wall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilyn Wall said...

Nina Marie I love the last one. Just make sure you have a good stabilizer behind it. You might try canvas duck on the diagonal. Good luck.

Teri Berry said...

I adore the last design and am excited to see it translated into a quilt. I'm not sure if this will work but have you considered achieving the values by dyeing a sheet of fabric using a paint brush to apply the dyes in a more controlled way and then creating the detail and movement with stitching?

Cay Denise said...

I agree the third image is the strongest. It should be beautiful when you finish! Please post it together with the drawing when you finished.

Cay Denise said...

Nina, I couldn't like to #18. Got message that my blogger email address wasn't allowed access. I've never seen that before. Do you have any idea if it is an issue that I need to deal with on my blogger settings side?

Anonymous said...

I love the sketch and the whole-cloth idea. Good luck with the thread painting. A child learns by doing, and so do we adults. I have an inkling of an idea and four days...my sketches showed motion but were not quilt designs yet. They still aren't.

Nina Marie said...

This assignment was hard!! Nothing like getting your money's worth from a class.