Sunday, September 20, 2009

Everythings Bloomin' at the Albion Fair

Well another Albion Fair has come and gone.  You see, the fair always manages to take over my small town.  School is let out early so that kids can get full use of Ride A Rama day.  The borough office, library, and resteraunts close for the week.  Traffic is sometimes backed up all the way through town.  Its "fairly" crazy and its always fun.  

The whole family enters their latest projects.  Paul entered  his contemporary  cabinet while I put in my two birdhouse wall hangings.  When judging was over, Paul who normally wins best in show lost out to a Pittsburgh Steelers Potty Chair complete with magazine rack and toilet roll holder.  I'll let you draw you own conclusions about what that says about our town.  Although in the past I've managed to bring home some best in shows, this year I only got a second and third place ribbon since my contemporary work is never well received in this very traditional venue.





My daughter, on the other hand, manage to hold up the Sayre name by bringing home a Second Best in Show with her entry Everythings Bloomin' at the Fair.  She is a very creative child and takes her multi media work very seriously.  This project took her a couple of weeks and we had long discussions on what was working in it and what wasn't.  I just kept encouraging her to follow her creative process and not give up.  The result was pretty great and uniquely her.  My husband Paul took one look and asked if she's been experimenting with drugs (grin).  I took one look and knew it was going to win.  Happily, the judges, for once, didn't disappoint me.

I want to remind all the artists I know to take time whenever possible to encourage young people  to celebrate their art.  I know its where your future lies.

1 comment:

Suzanne Kistler said...

Congratulations to you and your family! I LOVE your husband's cabinet. I can't imagine why the other project won...until it came with a Steeler attached! ;)