Friday, September 6, 2024

New Beginnings on Off the Wall Friday

The Fiber Art Studio, John C. Campbell's Folk School

 I want to thank everyone for the grace you've shown me as I took the summer off from blogging.  One thing I have learned after having a blog for 15 years is that blogging seems to go in cycles and it's not a bad thing to just go with the flow.  I actually thought of stopping.  Most of my favorite bloggers have.  I get why though.  After so many posts there isn't a ton to say.  My husband talked me out of it.  He reminded me that this blog isn't just about posting interesting content (although I do try - honest!).  It's served as a journal of my creative life  - the good - the bad - and - the ugly.

Also, I'm the kinda person that can only seem to have one big mission at a time.  This summer, I was


acclimating to a my new job and helping my team get back on track.  Let me tell you...after working for my last company for 12 years and from home for the last 7, the change was a lot.  Just working in an office environment after being gone since...let me see...1993 was a lot.  Funny though, as much as things change, things still seem to stay the same.  I've learned that career changes can be exhausting and very fun.  Fun at any time is great, but at work it's especially refreshing.

Soooo thank you!

But on to new beginnings!  The biggest news is that I signed up for next year's vacation which will be our anniversary week in May.  We are going to John C. Campbell's Folk School where I'll be taking Rug Hooking and my husband is going to learn about bee keeping.   We can't wait.  FINALLY the two classes that we both really wanted to take fell on the same week.

From the JCC Website!
Learning how to traditionally hook a rug has been on my bucket list since I was 25.  At the time I was an environmental engineer who went around and did all sorts of safety work.  One day, I was assigned to do air testing at a senior center about 4 hrs south of my house.  There I met a senior lady who came every week to work on her hook rugs in the rec room.  She was kind enough to teach me all the basics about hooking a rug and then let me hook with her.  I was totally fascinated.  The idea that you could recycle wool clothes, cut them into strips and make them into the rugs was amazing.   I was never so sorry to see my 4 hr air test come to an end, but I promised myself that I would some day get back to really learning the art.  Not much after, I got a quilting book by mistake and was off on another mission.  Still rug hooking has been waiting for me to try it out again.  

The fascinating thing about rug hooking though is that it's a great partner with both traditional and art quilting.  It's all hand work but I can easily use all my design skills to create my own designs.  Plus  - go figure - you can dye wool just like you can dye cotton and silk. Now I don't think I'm going to drop quilting to become a hooker - do they call them that?  Well you know what I mean.  

Everyone has a bucket list and with me looking at 60, it's time I started on mine.  

It's funny how new things can get your creative juices flowing again right?

That's what's new with me...

What Have You've Been Up to Creatively?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Both classes sound awesome! It so nice you can both go the same week, happy stitching!

maggie fellow said...

I like the combo - husband and wife - I rug hook and love it

Michelle said...

My blogging life ebbs and flows. I’ve made the mistake of discontinuing a blog only to wish I hadn’t. Now, I give myself grace to post when I feel like it and ignore it when I don’t. Rug hooking sounds fascinating. I’ve made the jump from quilting to textile arts, which then caused me to take a hard look at embroidery, which I am learning now. It’s all interwoven - if you’ll pardon the pun. I’m glad your new job is going well.

Jill said...

I’m so glad that you haven’t given up blogging. So many are gone. I love that you are getting to take your rug hooking class. I’m a quilter, but last year I learned to weave, I sometimes cross stitch and I’ve just signed up to take a basket weaving class. Love to learn new things!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Good to have you back. What a great way to spend your anniversary.

Norma Schlager said...

So glad to have you back and that you are not giving up on blogging. I, too, have seen so many go over to Instagram or Facebook. I used to blog a lot, two or three times a week, but now I;m lucky if I get in a couple a month.

Rebecca Grace said...

Okay, very glad your husband talked you into sticking with your blog because I am looking forward to learning more about your rug hooking adventures. But “Gave up quilting to become a hooker” made my eyebrows shoot up so high, they nearly blasted right off my face! ;-)

Donna said...

The year of my 60th birthday, I decided it was time to do all the things I'd wanted to do for years. Postponing while life got in the way wasn't an option any longer. I started turning my sketches into quilts and learning watercolors. Good luck exploring your dreams! It's a journey.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Nina Marie, starting a new job can be fun, but takes up so much energy! I'm so happy that you'll be doing a rug hooking class. I took an intro class a couple of years ago. It was fun but I have so much on the go that it turned out less fun than the rest :-) Take care of yourself and thanks for keeping the blog going. It is an amazing journal of our life and creations.

Margaret said...

First, I'm thankful you're still blogging -- and connecting bloggers to each other! I've had my blog since February 2003 and while I don't post as often as I used to, I appreciate having a place where I can link my blog for others to read, and read what others post about. I also like a story with photos, not photos with little or no back-story (and I'm not an Instagram follower), so blogging suits me fine.

Now then, WELCOME to the rug hooking adventure! After years of a friend's "gentle" persuasion, I began to hook last year, and am having a blast. I've had one in-person lesson locally, but learned most of what I know from Deanne Fitzpatrick, from her studio in Amherst, Nova Scotia. If you're interested, she has a Thursday "Live", complete with her wonderful Newfoundland accent (she grew up in St. John's), and lots of online videos -- as well as wonderful patterns and fibres and yarns to tempt even the heardiest of souls. https://hookingrugs.com/ -- enjoy! You'll love it!

Nina Marie said...

As always Margaret you'll a wealth of information! I have seen Deanne online but haven't gotten to far in my rug hooking research. I definitely will check her out. Plus Nova Scotia is also on my bucket list!