Friday, April 19, 2024

Sewing & Quilt Expo on Off the Wall Friday

Waiting for the vendors to open!

Okay am I the only one who has never been to a Sewing Expo?  This year I finally got to attend since it was returning to the I-X Center on the westside of Cleveland...and let me tell ya....most of the women I talk to have been going for years.  After spending the day, now I understand why.

Reason 1 - the Expo encompasses all that is sewing and quilting - If it has to do with those two things, then you will find it there.  There were vendors for EVERYTHING which includes but not limited to sewing and long arm dealers, quilt shops, notion shops, vintage sewing supplies, embroidery supplies, hmmmmmm and even a tea vendor.



Reason  2 - There were talks going on two stages all day.  The talk were given by different vendors so they were on a wide range of topics but still all had to do with  - you guessed it - sewing and quilting.

Reason 3 - There was a really great quilt exhibit which included not only collections from SAGA but also challenges from different quilt guilds across the country.



Reason 4 - Maker Space where they had Make & Take projects for a nominal fee.  I think I saw at least 4 or 5 of them going.


Reason 5 - A full day of classes, anywhere from 1 hr lectures to 4 hr classes.  These weren't the most in depth classes but they weren't expensive, so they were good if you just wanted to try something out. 



Reason 6 - There was a pretty cool scavenger hunt where you ended up with a little prize at the end.  (I really had fun doing this because it made me really understand the layout of the expo!  Plus I get to try the little sewing clips they gave me!)

and finally

Reason 7 - A really nice door prize drawing at the end of the day which included 2 sewing machines.  Everyone gets together for the drawings and it was really fun.

Since it was such a long day, I'll keep this short, but let's just say it was worth $$.  I didn't buy a lot - 6 fat quarters of dupioni silk, a new rotary cutter that has BALL BARINGS!, a yard of batik rayon that is gorgeous, some amazing hugo tape and a few other notions.  

My mind is on overload and I'm not quite sure how ladies do it for the full 3 days....but they assure me they are!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It sounds like you had an enjoyable day! Maybe next year you can manage all 3 days, happy stitching!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Oh that sounds like fun!

Julie S said...

When you have used the new rotary cutter with ball bearings, would you post a review? I have never heard of this development! What is the brand?

Nina Marie said...

I will definitely be posting a review on my new rotary cutter!!

Deb said...

Oh I've seen that new cutter , pricey but it is supposed to cut well and be easier on
wrists!! Talk about creative over load! So much to look at !!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Thanks for the post Nina Marie. I've never been to one of these, but I think that there may be such an event in Toronto - I'll have to look into it. Glad you enjoyed it, although I sure couldn't handle more than one day either :-)