Friday, February 2, 2024

Designing a Calendar Cow on Off the Wall Friday

 I was looking back at previous posts (and when I say "back" I mean wayyyyyy back) and I realized that


I hadn't shown how I designed the Calendar Cow blocks.  So I thought it was a good idea to, since so many times I hear from people who see my work, "I wish I could draw."  I always smile and answer, "Me, too!"

So here is how to design a representational block when you can't draw but you know how to use a laptop, pencil and tracing paper.


1.  Come up with an Idea.  Since these blocks are in series, it makes it pretty easy.  The next month up is June and with that June Brides.  I mean what cow doesn't want to have a June wedding?  So then I started brainstorming the things I wanted in it - I came up with a Cow (duh!) - a veil - an old-fashioned church.

2.  Steal the Elements.  It's amazing how many places have royalty-free photos now online.  Today I used Unsplashed.  I chose this amazing cow photo done by Luke Stackpoole who graciously put his work up to be downloaded freely.



After looking at many, many church photos I chose one by Michelle Tresemer because it was simple and it looked like someplace a cow could have an old-fashioned wedding.


As for the viel, I thought I would work out the composition and figure that out at the end.

3.  Composition of the Block.  So now I'm being brave here and showing you my pathetic line drawing.  But truly that's all you need to get your basic composition down...a pathetic line drawing!  I normally use this step to work out what scale I want the elements.  Also, this is where I get a better idea of the main lines in the composition.  Since this is part of a series, I'm using the previous blocks as a guide.  Notice....big cow in the foreground and the church in the background with the horizon shown.  This block though will have a stone fence rather than a wooden one.  I love stone fences.  



4.  Edit the photos.  I edit the photos using a black and white high contrast filter.  I print them out in a nice workable size.  They don't need to be the exact size just something big enough to trace.   I  trace the photo with tracing paper because at this stage I can add lines and take lines away that I don't find pleasing using the original photo to help guide me.  I am never super careful with the lines.  Once the pattern is to my liking, I trace it onto overhead projector film sheets.  (I use expo  vis a vis markers ... I know my 10 years of teaching is showing but they are washable and won't rub off)


5.  Create the pattern.  Now I drag out the WW II overhead projector I bought on eBay 25 years ago for 20 bucks.  I mean do they even still make these?  I draw out the 16" block and then using the overhead projector, I then move my cow and church to a scale and location I like.  The line sketch from Step 3 gives me an idea of where, but I also trust my eye,  As you can see here, once I got the pictures up on the block, I really liked the idea of the church scaled larger, bringing forward.  Plus you gotta keep in mind this is part of a series, and this layout will look great next to July Cow and his 4th of July Barn.


With the final pattern trace, I can go back and put in a few details.  They will be the veil, the horizon line and hopefully the stone fence.  But it's getting late and I've learned never to make design decisions when you're tired.  


I know it might seem like a lot, but it really isn't.  It took me about 3 hrs.  It does help that I have all the supplies I like to use right at my fingertips.  The nice thing about this method is that its super versatile and cheap and low tech.  I know I'm still using the same box of 100 overhead projector sheets I bought back in the late 90's.

Now all I have to do is finish up the details on that pattern, choose the fabric, and sew it up!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I work in a similar low tech method except I don't have an overhead. Wish I did. And I love this series too, after all, cows deserve a proper wedding too!

Kathy said...

Sometimes the DUH! hits really hard..........I use an overhead, too, but I print on the sheets instead of tracing with the Expos. Thanks for sharing your process. It's making me re-think mine and we need that now and then!!

LA Paylor said...

omgosh I collect cows and LOVE them in art. Wordweaverart does a LOT of painted cows on her blog

LeeAnna "not afraid of color"