Friday, June 23, 2023

The Color Cabal - It's a thing on Off the Wall Friday


 My day job is selling clothing.  Today, as I sold my 13th coral almond shirt, it had me asking - Why coral almond?  I'm not overly fond of the color, but my customers are eating it up (well not literally).  I long for the days of lime green which I love...but nope it's all about coral this year.  WHY?

Welllll....apparently..... there is a handful of companies whose job it is to decide what are the "In" colors are this year.  How?  Through a lot of research in cultural and psychological trends.  The crazy thing is that it's done years in advance!  Then these companies sell their services to fashion designers, paint companies, interior decorators, and even toy manufacturers!  Any company that has something to design needs to know what the next in-vogue colors are going to be.  

So what are the colors of 2023?

Verdigris - a bluish, greenish, gray that my company calls lagoon!




Tranquil Blue - we call it powder blue



Digital Lavender - Or our Dusty Lavender


Luscious Red - or the dreaded Coral



Sundial  - or Golden Sundance 



Let me tell ya, once you are "in the know" and you see them...it's hard to unsee them.  They are EVERYWHERE.  If you don't believe me, take a walk around your favorite store and start counting every time you see one!

Is it just me or is there something sinister about a secret cabal determining the colors the rest of us are going to have to live with all year?  Maybe it's just the fact that I'm the one that has to explain to my customer why they can't find their favorite shade of cherry red because this is the year of coral.  (It's true - not a cool red to be found!  It's about that warm orangish red).  It's annoying.  The only good thing is that if you don't like this year's colors, the cabal will come up with a whole other set next year!


So that's my rant of the week...


What Have You Been Up to Creatively?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments: