Friday, May 24, 2019

Its All About a Grid - Off The Wall Fridays

Fall II, Nina-Marie Sayre
Do you ever get the feeling that there isn't enough hours in the day?  Well, that's the kind of week I've had.  Between working full time, mowing the lawn, trying to get my Abstract homework done andddd getting ready for my vacation.....well, let's just say that I wish Gemini's literally had two of me to get it all done!!  So glad I woke up from my funk!!

Fall I, Nina-Marie Sayre

So this week our studies of Abstracts brought us into a new organizational tool....the grid.  Once I started thinking about it, it all seemed very familiar.  That was because I had already hit upon this device with my Seasons Series.  A few years back, I got it into my head that I was going to make a series of 8 abstract  quilts to represent the seasons.  I needed them to flank the door in my family room and I thought if I changed them seasonally, I wouldn't get sick of them!  So I sat down and started sketching them out. I finished two of them ...Fall...and then I was onto another idea.  I swear I have the attention span of a SQUIRREL.



With this lesson of Elizabeth's, it brought the seasons idea back to mind.  They were a fun project....I really should finish it up.  What I liked about it was not only was it a nice, easy way to explore the world of abstract but it also was a good way to play with form, scale, and value.  Geesh...yeah I really need to finish that series!!

Maybe its because I started out a traditional quilter but I found organizing  an abstract quilt this way very familiar.  Each was its own little block and the blocks went together as a family to form the quilt at the end.  Just because the blocks had abstracted motifs in them instead of Ohio stars meant nothing.  

So here are the beginning of my new grids.  I still have a TON to do on this lesson.  So glad I got the extended version of this class!!





ALSO

This Saturday we head south to North Carolina for a week at the John Campbell's Folk Art School.  I'm taking a class in silk painting (which I've never done) and my husband is making a Windsor chair which he's never done (he's made a ton of chairs - just not particular chair - grin).  There is limited WiFi at the school, but I'll be setting up a  "Quote" post just in case I don't get my own post done.  That way Off the Wall Friday will run as usual!!



Hope Everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday.  I sure love Summer!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by your abstract grids. They would make very interesting quilts! And I agree, you need to finish the series. Enjoy your time at the folk art school!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

This class sounds very interesting, and your grid sketches are beautiful. It would be a great idea to finish the series! ;))

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Have a delightful time painting! How cool to do this with your Hubby!

Lynda said...

I am really interested in these grids. Looking forward to seeing your results. I know the feeling of wanting to do so much and so many project ideas including series, and then I get into "What was I thinking?" Anyway, have a great time at Campbell's. Looking forward to your results. One of these days I'd like to go there.