If you said, "Hand dyed fabric" you would be right!
I'm so glad I gave up my anal ways of hand dying and just kind of threw the procion dyes and ash water together - then scrunched the fabric up in red solo cups - with the dye mixture poured over them in no particular method.
The results were fabulous. I've shared the most interesting ones here - but really the whole lot came out nicely. These I might keep whole - using them as a focal piece or a great background for small pieces. The rest of the batch will be used in this year's work.
One thing I did notice - the Testfabs mercerized 419W came out the best. The colors look so saturated - they look like I really knew what I was doing - LOL!! Now that's not to say that the Kona didn't come out nice - 'cause it did - and for about half the price. The colors though seemed a bit more muted or murkier which actually is a good thing because unless you're Melody Johnson you really should be adding a bit of the murky to your quilts!
So anyways, all the supplies are safely put away for now and I'm starting to design my next project. I've decided I'm entering Quilt = Arts = Quilt this year and the deadline is in August so I better get hoppin'!
See more great design walls at
Judy's Patchwork Times!
Love, love the results....I have no appropriate space for dyeing....perhaps your Solo cup method would work for me.....must learn more.
Esp. smitten with the 4th design......but I've always been attracted to plaids and that's the impression it gives.
Beautiful.. I want to try hand dying some day. You make it seem simple.
OMG! They are beautiful! You need to do a post on how you do it. I want some too!
Because of popular demand - I'll post the quick and easy method I used to dye these later this week in a tutorial!
Wonderful results! I am looking forward to the tutorial!
I can't wait to see how you do this! The colors are so rich and vibrant.
Post a Comment