Friday, June 14, 2013

The Quilting Line - Design Wall Friday

Well School is finally out and house guests are safely home so it seems there is no reason I can't finish up the lilies project.  It took a few more hours but now everything is safely sewn down.

One thing that is nice about doing the embroidery first, is that there is no additional thread work to do once you applique them on.  I didn't use any glue to baste the appliques down - I just used big pins and it seemed to do the trick.  I did find that I needed to add an additional stabilizer  (I just used freezer paper) when I added the stems to the cattails because I was getting a bit of puckering.

Now, onto the quilt line.  I decided for once I would take my time and think about adding some fancy quilt.  I've been saving some examples that have caught my eye on my pinterest board.  So with that as inspiration but still taking the piece into consideration, I started auditioning different lines and ideas.  I used taped together overhead sheets and makers for the job since I didn't have a piece of vinyl on hand.  Still adding its a bit daunting.  I hate putting in the wrong line - - only to have to take it all out again.


So I'm thinking that I might do some practice quilting this weekend and get a feel of the echo curves I want to make.  One thing I've learned about free motion work  - practice is key!

With the week of grey and rain and the  realization that Tessa is one year closer to leaving  - I've been a bit quiet and reflective.

So what have you been up to creatively??


6 comments:

Deborah OHare said...

Best bit of advice I ever got about free motion quilting-
Slow hands-Fast feet!
Works for me :)

Margarita Korioth said...

I'm with Deborah, slow hands and fast feet...works for me, too.

I'm looking forward to see the finished product!

Linda A. Miller said...

Looks like a fun project...love the cat tails!

Lisa Chin said...

Have fun practicing! I look forward to seeing how it all comes together. I have a lot of free motion practice to do this weekend and all next week as well. So many projects, so little time!

Margaret said...

I agree; much as we'd like to plunge in, practice (aka 'sampling') is definitely the key!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful design- it looks great in progress! I'm so glad you commented about free motion quilting. I have a number of quilt tops done- and NONE of them quilted. I'd love to try free motion quilting but am SO INTIMIDATED that I have not yet started. Your post gives me a bit of courage...