Monday, September 20, 2010

Its Beginning to look a lot like Christmas. . . .Design Wall Monday


You know I've never been one to start a lot of projects and then work on them simultaneously.  I'm a very task oriented  - linear - quilter.  Well, at least I was a very task oriented, linear quilter.  Then this summer hit and I've managed to start working on several projects at once.  With the fair safely over - and no I did not get my quilt quilted in time (read big sigh!) - I thought I better get after making my Christmas project.  SewCalGal is hosting a Christmas quilt show and I wanted to enter it.  Plus I've been saying for the last 3 years that I need to do a decent Christmas wall hanging for the house.  You would thing that a quilter could manage to have some decent decorations that she has sewn up during the holidays  wouldn't ya??

Sooooo, of course I didn't have an idea of what I wanted - I just knew that I wanted it to be a bit artsy - a bit classy and not toooo cutesy!!  I did some surfing and found a pattern that I liked, but it was just a tad too twee for me.  So I spent the after noon tweaking it since of course 'cause ya know I've never found a pattern that I didn't want to change in some way. Here is the finished sketch.

In old news, I did manage to come VERY close to finish hand quilting my quilt --- should finish that up this week with all of the new shows coming on.  Between the fair, a head cold and working everyday this week nothing got done.  Still things are slowing down so maybe I'll manage to finish up some of these projects!

10 comments:

Carol B in NH said...

Go, Nina-Marie! The best thing you can do with all that is happening is to work on things that will soothe your soul. One step at a time and things get done. (now if I would only listen to my own words!) LOL!

Unknown said...

Love your sketch - keep us posted as you begin to work on the quilt. It will be great to see how things progress and develop.

Kathie said...

sketch is very nice, hope to see it as you work on it.

Diane said...

the sketch looks very nice, it will be cool to see it come to life, since it doesn't scream Christmas you could display it just for winter too!

Charlene S said...

See watching new shows on tv is not a waste of time. Winter is a time of slowing down and catching up. I think that your sketch will be a very decent decoration. Be sure to show it as you work.

Chris said...

Your sketch is wonderful.

You have so much more restraint than I!! I have dozens of projects in the works, LOL.

Gari in AL said...

Until last year I didn't have anything that I had made for Christmas. Now I have one wall hanging and one quilt. That will probably be all I will do for some time but when the holidays come, I am ready. ;-)

henny said...

Great sketch! Btw, another new project ? Wow...:)Good luck!

Suzanne Kistler said...

I still don't know what "twee" means... :)

Teaquilts said...

LOVE the sketch of your future Christmas quilt. It'g going to be gorgeous.