Friday, July 9, 2021

Thinking Out of the Box on Off the Wall Friday

 This week it dawned on me that I was one month from my class, Embellished Textile Assemblage with Jennifer Reis and I hadn't even THOUGHT of gathering the many, many things on the supply list.  Rereading the supply list reminded me that although I've been quilting nearly  30 years, this class was definitely going to push me out of my comfort zone.   It included things like beads, grommets, velcro, photos, sequins, mirrors, and a couple of things I'm not sure how to pronounce more less spell.  I do know it said that this was a definite more is more kind of class.   Now don't get me wrong, I like other quilters have been hoarding collecting all sorts of things to embellish future quilts.  But if I was actually being honest with myself (for once) I never thought to actually use them.  Looks like Jennifer is going to push me right out my comfort zone and to try something new whether I'm kicking and screaming or not.


Queen of Heaven, Jennifer Ries
 

 To be fair, the supply list isn't that long or expensive.  It's just that there are so many directions you can take with it.  Since I'm a veteran of these type of classes, I know that we will spend time learning techniques and then we will work on our sampler project.  THAT is more daunting than the supply list.  The list says bring photos....of what? who??  where???  Bring pre-printed fabric ...once again with what printed on it?  You get the drift.  So it's a good idea to have a good idea of what you want to work as you're packing.

 And that's my problem.  With everything that has been going on on the homefront, I haven't had a good creative idea in forever.  For that matter, even if I did have a topic I wouldn't know how to explore, how to do it from a embellished mix media stand point.  Gosh it's been a long time since I've gone into a class totally clueless...grin!!  

 

 

So since my own experiences are leaving me dry....Let's Think Out of the Box

  • Look for Inspiration ...look through Pinterest for different art than you normally look at. Look through inspirational photos that grab your interest and heart enough to work on that subject.  Start a new board for the class.  Of course you can do this ole skool and put this all in a binder or journal, but since I've been curating my pinterest boards for about 10 yrs now, there are plenty of ideas there
  • Search the Stash...I'm not just talking just  fabric but any interesting odds and ends that interests you.  Those can lead you into a new direction
  • Research the Greats...Look up new artists that you haven't learned about before.  For me this will lead me to mix media artists that I never knew before.  

Once that  is done, you probably will have gotten inspired on what direction you want to go or several for that matter.  Collect the new things you want to work with.  And start.

That starting part is hard for me.  I know lots of my friends have no problem experimenting and playing with new ideas and techniques but to me without a clear direction, I kinda just stall.  That's why I thought this class would really inspire me to try something new and interesting.  

So thanks for letting me talk this out and get my head in a place that I can now start getting ready for this class.  I'll be sure to keep you apprise of how this all comes together.   


So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

DVArtist said...

Love this kind of art. Well done my friend.

Rebecca Grace said...

Good for you, venturing outside of your comfort zone and going into class with an open mind and a GREAT attitude! I predict that you will have a blast, learn a lot, and come home with your brain doing neural fireworks with all of the new ideas that you'll be inspired by!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Good luck Nina Marie. If you're not sure what you should bring, just bring too much! Remember to have fun!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Boy do I feel for you. We are kindred spirits apparently, as I read your "That starting part is hard for me. I know lots of my friends have no problem experimenting and playing with new ideas and techniques but to me without a clear direction, I kinda just stall." I nodded with empathy. I wish you luck and thank goodness, you've collected and collected over the years so at least you've got embellishments whether or not you know what you are going to do with them!

Nina Marie said...

You all say the sweetest stuff!! Thank you!! Whenever I do a blog post like this - where I kinda just type out the struggles that are going on mentally - I think OMG why are you boring everyone with this. Inevitably, though writing out the post helps,your comments help and I can suck it up and get on with what I need to do. So yes, Virginia, the struggle is real!! Once again THANK YOU!!