Friday, March 2, 2018

The Legacy of Mary Blair - Off the Wall Friday


Blair, before the design for the Mural for Tomorrowland, Disneyland


So this week my life has been consumed with planning our upcoming Disney World trip.   Since we honeymooned there, we thought it was the perfect place to celebrate our  25th anniversary.  
Little did I know that it would take a full year and countless hours to plan.  Now with tickets bought, dining reservations made and fast passes obtained, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  All we have to do is GO!

All this Disney though has brought to mind an amazing artist, Mary Blair (1911-1978).    Now you might not know exactly who Mary Blair is, but I can guarantee you that have seen her work.  Her fingerprints can be seen all over Disney's empire from movie shorts to full length movies to Disneyland to Disney World.


5 Things You Didn't Know about Mary Blair

1.  She worked for nearly 30 years for Disney Animation on projects such as Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan.  She is the creator of the illustrations of Captain Hook and the White Rabbit.  

2. Walt Disney himself recruited Blair to spearhead the design and creation of the iconic ride  It's a Small World which debuted at the 1964 World's Fair but then was moved to Disneyland.  It of course was replicated in Disney parks in Florida, Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong

Blair's Concept Art work for It's a Small World


 TO This



3. Blair created several massive murals for the Disney Parks including the famous ceramic mural that is still the centerpiece of the Contemporary Resort at Disney World.

4.  Due to Blair's bold and ground-breaking color design. She is credited with introducing modernistic art styles to the Walt Disney Studios


5.  But it wasn't all about Disney, Blair illustrations can be seen in the Goldenbooks series which is still in print today.



With all this planning behind me, I can finally get in some sewing this weekend!!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Born in '66, this style summarized my childhood. It flows in to the Scandinavian style of the time period in my eyes, and feels somehow comforting to me even today. I've stood before the mural in the contemporary and looked for that one goat or sheep that is 'different' than the others. I still enjoy the boat ride, but secretly wish for ear plugs hoping I can forget the song before it latches on to my subconscious. This was a treat to see here today. Thanks So much!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Nina Marie, thanks for introducing us to Mary Blair. That was really interesting - and have a wonderful trip. Congrats on 25 years!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi there and thank you for writing about Mary. I will add a link to this post soon at my blog as I think people would like to read it too. Enjoy every minute of your return trip.