Friday, February 16, 2018

Annual Skip Day - Off the Wall Friday

 Tessa and I had an annual tradition which we called Annual Skip Day.  I was a substitute teacher all while she was growing up and  so when Tessa was in school, I  went to school.  It was a hard stressful job which had many rewards, but . . . did I mention stressful?  So, I thought it was a good idea that once a year, I would write a note to her teacher . . . .




 Dear Mrs. Teacher,
                                                      Tessa and I are feeling stressed out so we are 
                                                      skipping school today.  We wish you were
                                                      coming with us.  We plan to have fun and 
                                                      eat junk food and laugh a lot.   Don't Worry!
                                                      We'll be back tomorrow.

                                                                      Mrs. Sayre
     

I would always make sure that homework was all caught up and she never missed a beat.  But we had a ton of fun!!  We would always plan something interesting and did outrageous things - like have hamburger and fries and shakes at our favorite hamburger join....for Breakfast.  We told all the people we met - We're skipping school!  Wanna join us?  

I say all this because I think its a good idea that once in a while, you  just take day off  just because.  Not a day to go to appointments, or to catch up on chores, or to even schedule a studio day.  Its just a day that you forget  responsibilities and stresses.  And don't apologize for it.

So Fast forward 10 years and I've raised a very responsible college girlie, I can't talk her into taking a skip day with me but I'm doing it anyways. With that this blog is coming out a bit late but that is the last thing that could be consider a responsibility today!  I might start on my Sherlock  Box set I got for Valentines day, but  I probably will end up in the studio sewing on my quilt - not because I HAVE to but just for the joy of it.  I might listen to Harry Potter for the third time and get a Happy Meal for lunch and not apologize to anybody.  I might even get a Coke.  With  SUGAR.

So Happy Annual Skip Day!

You should take one too!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

7 comments:

chrisknits said...

What a wonderful tradition! All my days are skip days now, but maybe I need to schedule off the wall days where I do something silly!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Enjoy that skip day for all it's worth!!

Shannon said...

Yes! I need a skip day too! But it will have to wait until next week. Have fun!

Norma Schlager said...

I used to call it a mental health day. Have fun on yours!

Ann Scott said...

My mother would let me take days off (she could probably see a meltdown coming!) but sadly she couldn't/wouldn't take them off with me. SHE really could have used a "skip day" or two. She would have admired you. Such a fun memory to share with your daughter.

quiltedfabricart said...

What a great mom you are! There should be a national skip day holiday as far as I’m concerned.

Julie said...

My mom and I did the same thing while I was growing up. We'd shop and eat out, and we would bond over our devious tricks. My own kids were homeschooled, and we were far more flexible in doing what needed done vs. sticking to a rigid schedule. I think they are a little better at taking mental health days instead of seeing it as a skip day as I did. Either way, Yes!, you are absolutely correct. It's a valuable way to destress and energize, and just cut loose from routine. All work and no play make Jane a dull girl. Glad you had a good one!