Friday, February 24, 2017

The Positives about Negative Space - Off the Wall Friday

The Curves II
I love negative space!  Well, that's in the art sense, I mean.  Anybody who has been paying attention to my developing artist voice could tell you that I pretty much spend as much time and energy on the
Notice the Arrow??
negative space of a design as the positive.

So what is NEGATIVE SPACE?  Its all the space that isn't included in the subject of a piece.  So basically - think - background.  The thing that I love about negative space is that it can be as interesting as the actual foreground (think subject of the piece).

Notice the Continent??
Now graphic designers have for years been using negative space to capture the eye.  When you look at an  a logo, you immediately see the bold, graphic subject matter.  BUT WAIT! The advertiser wants you to spend a bit more time on their impressive logo.  So using negative space, it makes the consumer linger a bit longer to see the hidden secrets that lie within the background.

Usually in the graphic world negative space is void of color and lets the subject matter dictate the shape,  But, in Nina's World,  I like to add so much interest to the background that it leaves the viewer saying, "Oh I think the background is my favorite part".

Watercolor Gateway

Clapboards &Lilies

In the Curves II and Watercolor Gateway, the negative space actually creates the lightest part of the quilt and therefore makes it the focal point.  In Clapboards and Lilies the negative space adds depth. Anddddddddddd in my latest creation, Lesson 3 (in the on-going Katie Pasquini-Masopust online design class) , the negative space adds movement and interest.  For that matter in Lesson 1 and 2 - both negative spaces added interest and depth
Lesson 3












For me its easier to come up with a great background, than to give a bigger "WOW" factor to the subject matter.  With the background being such a supportive partner to the subject, it makes the piece that much stronger.


So next time, you design a new piece, why don't you give a little positive attention to the neglected negative space!





So What Have Been Up to Creatively??

6 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

What a great topic for consideration, along with your great photo examples !

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Negative space has become my favorite part of the quilt to work on. This is where I get to play with free motion quilting in a big way. Love your examples and enthusiasm.

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I think you have nailed negative space! I found your post with its examples particularly informative. When you point it out I see how important background can be in your pieces. Lilies in particular struck me. Thank you for a great post!

Janet said...

Love this post! Very interesting, as are your negative spaces.

Rayna said...

Ah - negative space. Artists in every medium should pay attention to it. I have just spent three days at QuiltCon observing negative space in many forms. I've posted some photos on my blog.
http://studio78notes.blogspot.com.

Rayna - who is coming up for air after a crazy/busy two years of teaching and writing. Thanks for posting about this, Nina Marie.

Marianne said...

Belle démonstration, j'ai toujours de la peine avec cette espace négatif !