Friday, February 17, 2017

Guest Artist - Paula Jolly - Off the Wall Friday



Now, as you know, I'm in the middle of taking Katie Pasquini-Masopust's online class.  Taking a class online is a bit different then in real life because for the most part you don't have a lot of interaction with your fellow classmates.  Life is busy for everyone and just getting the lessons done can be a challenge.

Still, after seeing her work, I reached out to a classmate, Paula Jolly.  Paula's first assignment looked so lovely - abstract and painterly  - it left me scratching my head thinking ... "How did she do that?"  Little did I know, until digging a bit, that Paula is a VERY accomplished Canadian artist.  So I asked if she would share a bit about herself here.


 Paula, Thanks for being a guest on my blog.  Can you tell me a bit about yourself?



"My husband and I have retired from farming and spend our winters in  Arizona.  We have three children and seven grandchildren.  Home is and always will be Mossbank, Saskatchewn."



How did you start sewing and creating?

"I have always been creative, it's just a part of me!  So at the age of 10 I began sewing.  I've dabbled in many hobbies through the years, finally deciding on art quilts and paper collage."


 
You're work is amazing.  Can you share a bit about your process?

" I love to hunt for fabric!  Everything has potential in my world!  I audition fabrics on my design wall until an idea forms.  My pieces are not pre planned nor is the stitching I do on them.  I use Inktense paints, oil and wax pastels, kids paints etc., to enhance my pieces.  It is not unusual for me to have several works on the go.  If I get stalled, I move on to another...... "





Thanks Paula!!  And yes, I've been working Lesson 3 this week!

What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

2 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

Paula's work is wonderful! Is the portrait of the man done with fabric? Hard to tell. Maybe painted with Inktense? Love it

Margaret said...

Thanks for featuring Paula in your blog today. She is a member of SAQA (Western Canada Region) and I was (still am) honoured to have a piece of work in the SAQA exhibit, "My Corner of the World: Canada" with her. She is indeed very talented and we are fortunate she shares her love of the Canadian prairies as part of her art.