Friday, January 20, 2017

Background Browns - Off the Wall Friday


Me:  If I don't get going on this lesson, I'm going to miss the deadline.

Husband:  So go sew.

Me:  I can't.  I don't understand brown.

Husband:  What's there to understand?  Brown is brown.

Me:  No, she says that browns leans toward different colors and that's what I don't understand.

Husband:  Why are you trying to talk about color.  Color is a visual decision.  Don't you always say- (mimicking) "Make Visual Decisions Visually"  ???  You know color.
Go sew.

Smart man - I knew there was a reason I married him!!

So I put on my  big girl pants and attacked my browns.  Once I started looking, I did have quite a few and it wasn't hard to pull a bunch for a background.  The minute I started sewing, I thought, gee why did I think this was going to be hard.

I already had a rough sketch of my design and came up with a sample size - 12" by 24".  With one long stretch of studio time I was done.  Now that its together, I can see how the browns do have different undertones - but I'm still having trouble verbalizing them.  Luckily color doesn't need to be verbalized much!!


When I was done, I liked the background so well that I'm loathed to put something on it.  I'm definitely going to have to a monochromatic piece one of these days in brown.  Who knew I was going to fall in love?

So this weekend I'll be able to finish up the assignment and get it handed in on time.  I might even be able to get the stitching and quilting done of it!  YAY!!

So What Have You been up to Creatively?

7 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I love this piece as it is! Just a little quilting and it's done. Beautiful! I agree-who knew that brown could be so interesting?

Christine Staver said...

Nina Marie, I love this. It could stand alone as a quilt. You have me thinking more about brown.

Norma Schlager said...

I, too, love this combination and also think it could stand alone as a quilt. I don't use brown very often, but perhaps I should.

Windy Hill Happenings said...

I love your use of browns...it can stand on its own...I would be hard pressed to put something on top and cover up the beautiful background.

quiltedfabricart said...

Your husband is a very wise man - he married you, right? Lol! I love your fabrics together and agree to not add a thing besides quilting. Maybe some embroidered areas if you feel the need to add but subtle. Bravo!

quiltedfabricart said...

Your husband is a very wise man - he married you, right? Lol! I love your fabrics together and agree to not add a thing besides quilting. Maybe some embroidered areas if you feel the need to add but subtle. Bravo!

Shannon said...

So fun to hear about your progress with the browns! Your color pulls are great!