Friday, June 24, 2016

Picking Up the Pieces II - Off the Wall Friday

As  you could have guessed, picking up the pieces was harder than it looked.  Several times during the week,  I found my self puttering in my studio without making much progress.  First I had to track down the remnants of the piece.  Then I had to put them all in neat little piles.  Then I had to make sense of my value map.

Finally, with Thursday night looming, I managed to get a big hunk of time piecing.  Once I got back into the groove, I totally lost track of time.  One thing I noticed was that getting 7-8 hrs sleep really did wonders for sustaining me in my studio.  For the last few months I've been getting 5-6 and that's not just enough.




One of the biggest problems was picking up right where I left off in the value gradations.  This whole piece is based around subtle value gradations and a few hard edges.  I had to take out a few rows this week because they weren't quite right.  It was hard, but I kept reminding myself that they will most likely find another place in the piece.  The thing about my method of improved piecing is that its only partially improvisational.  I'm constantly checking value and color placements.  What looks random is only random to a certain degree.

Kinda like me.

So although I only finished up the top, I really feel like I'm over the hump of this slump!

Thank you for all the encouragement last week - it really does mean a lot.  I read the comments - SEVERAL times this week reminding myself that I like to create!


So What have been up Creatively?

2 comments:

Lena Pugacheva said...

Feels great to get back into the groove, doesn't it? You made good progress, I'm looking forward to see the result.

Julierose said...

Lovely piece--your hard work was worth it...hugs, Julierose