Friday, February 12, 2016

Fabric = Art - Off the Wall Friday

Chop Suey, Edward Hopper, the inspiration
You know before I started to quilt, I really didn't know anything about art.  Somehow in my background  of mathematics and physics, the study of art history fell through the cracks.  Then came along, quilting which meant playing with color, value, and design.  To do that, though, I had to learn about the art principals.  And to do that. . . I had to learn from the greats. So I started studying art, just like every artist before me.

Now that said, I have on occasion picked a piece of great art and let it inspire me to my own piece.  Last summer I used Edward Hopper's Chop Suey to create a totally new abstract collage (which still isn't quilted btw - sighhhhh). And three summers ago, I used the work of Paul Klee to come up with a new piece for my Praise Ladies series.

Chopped Hopper, the finished design
So when my new blogging friend, Alida, from Tweety Loves Quilting, invited me to join her art inspired blog hop challenge, I jumped at the chance.  The rules were simple enough - pick one piece of established art (in any media) and let it inspire a new textile piece of your vary own.  Ohhh and have it done to for the blog hop in May.

I've decided to let the impressionists/post impressionists art exhibit, Monet to Matisse, Painting the Modern Garden   to inspire me.  After seeing it at the Cleveland Art Museum, I was profoundly moved by the painters' use of color and value.  I've been putting together a pinterest board of the over 100 paintings in the exhibit so I can have a list for further study.  This is the perfect opportunity to set that study into action!!!

I promise to show you bits and pieces of my process as this progresses over the next couple of months with a big reveal in May.


Also, there is still time to join the blog hop and take up the challenge of art inspired work - just contact me or Alida!

So What have been up to Creatively?


6 comments:

AlidaP said...

Thanks for posting about the Blog Hop! I hope many more people will join! I am really looking forward to see where your inspiration takes you because impressionists/post impressionists are my all time favorites!!!
Great job with the Hopper piece!

Christine Staver said...

I am part of this blog hop as well! I am looking forward to it.
Chris

LA Paylor said...

Is this the one you worked on when I visited your workshop? LeeAnna

Sandy said...

Hi Nina and all,
I haven't uploaded any links for sometime. Basically dealing with health. But since I just put up several blog posts this week about our textile art group exhibition...AND remembered the link before turning off the computer...I have added it!
It is a link to the label of everything from our Worn Threads exhibition, so scroll down to see the posts and further down to see my piece in construction. Stitching wax paper anyone? ;-)
Sandy in the UK

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

I's be interested in doing this blog hop Nina! jujujan@verizon.net

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Great idea for a blog hop! Your piece inspired by Chop Suey is wonderful. I'd love to know more about the blog hop. Please email me the details!