What I struggled with the most is how to add rhythm without adding boredom. After much sketching I handed in two that I thought were the strongest. Elizabeth approved.
With those in hand, I blocked out my piece but somehow got lost along the way. Notice how this isn't as strong as the sketches. I started playing with a secondary rhythm in this one and it wasn't successful. Which of course, Elizabeth pointed out.
I went back to the original sketch and finally got a piece that was much stronger. I think she said it worked, "Stupendously well" . Finally success.
|Rhthym - fused on muslin fondation - 28" by 28|
Although I did learn things about rhythm, I also learned something about construction. This piece was collaged together using fused fabrics. I used steam-a-seam light 2 and heat and bond light. I liked the steam a seam better since you could position them on the foundation but the heat and bond held better. BUT I really hated fusing all together. The piece ended up flat - stiff and not at all like soft pretty fabric. I know its faster to fuse but I hated working with all that glue and paper. It was a huge mess in my studio and as well as on my iron (even though I have an fusing sheet). But for a quick assignment I'm glad I used it.
I really like this piece with the color palette (which is one of my favorites) and the play on value as well as rhythm. I think I'm going to quilt it without batting (since its so stiff and flat already) and use it for a mock up for a future much larger piece.
See more great design walls on Design Wall Monday at Judy's Patchwork Times.