Thursday, August 2, 2012

Inspiration Thursdays - Pondering Pinterest

Pittsburgh's Children's Museum taken by Tessa Sayre
I've decided that Thursdays are going to be for inspirational pictures.  Any pictures that are posted on Thursdays have been taken by me or my lovely teenage  daughter, Tessa. or a trusted friend.    Tessa has been blessed with a great eye for composition and color so I've gotten in the habit of giving her my point and shot - just telling her to take some pretty and interesting shots.  Funny how that's enough said when it comes to Tessa.  Now my husband, Paul, that's a whole different story.  I swear even with exact directions on how set up a shot, I'm never quite sure how its going to come out.  Sighhhh - glad he's cute!
Tessa

So anywayysssss - as I was saying - Thursdays  will be put aside for  inspirational pictures that can be used copyright free.  Of course if you wanted to show me what they are used for that would be nice.  Also, its always nice to give credit to the photographer.

This brings me to another big topic of debate among quilt artists I know. . . Pinterest.  Now, for you who don't know, Pinterest is an online, personal bulletin board.  You are able to set up an account, download their app and pin things that are  of special interest to your "boards". Its easy and can be a little addictive.  Its become VERY popular.  People use it for all sorts of reasons. . . .if they planning a special event . . .  .fashion ideas. . . quotes and sayings they find funny. I've used it to set up a board of things I want for birthdays and Christmas and guess what. . . I got what I wanted for my last birthday (thankyouMomHeidiPaulandTessa)
Fort Stanwix, Rome, NY taken by Becky Carr

Artists have taken to pinning inspirational ideas.  That's where the debate comes in.  Rules on Pinterest webpage says, "Pinterest ("Pinterest") respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects its users to do the same. "  So is just the act of "pinning" something infringing on someone's copyright?  I've decided, personally, no.  Until I take that image and downright copy it or use it directly for a piece of art, I'm not going to worry too much that referring back to the source is running rough shod over copyright laws.  With that said, I definitely try to practice responsible "pinning".  I give credit to the originator and I try my best to pin back to the original source.  I've heard from many artists that this brings interest to their work and more traffic to their websites. 

Ohh and yes, I'm quite sure that there are plenty of people who can make VERY valid arguments that I am wrong.  Still for now, human nature being what it is, I'm going to stick to my opinion. . . .  if you don't want people to copy, share or make reference to your work, then don't put it out there.  Keep it hidden in your house so that you can be the only one to enjoy it.

No comments: