Friday, June 17, 2011

Memorial Quilt Top Finished! Getting Militant About Borders

You know I hate doing borders.  I hate everything about them - cutting them, sewing them on, quilting on them.  I wonder why do all the traditional quilts I see have borders?  Is it that we see the quilt tops as pictures needing to be framed?  Geesh I don't know - and at this stage in my quilting life - I don't really care.  All I do know is that the fewer borders I need to do. . . .the better!

With that in mind, I've decided that I am NOT going to put a border on this memorial quilt.  As it was creating, I noticed more and more how the whole thing started looking very homespun - its adapted this very homey, warm, country charm.  I really didn't mean for it to go that way - but sometimes, I swear, quilts just create themselves.  And this one has definitely taken on a look of its own.  As anybody who knows me, I am NOT a country chick.  I like my colors to be bold, saturated, in your face. . . but this quilt was about the man - who was blue collar, down to earth, fun.  So hopefully the quilt has captured that.

The top is now in three columns so that I can attempt a method of quilt as you go.  I never tried this method - but its been in my head for about a year so I might as well give it a shot.  I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Carol A. Babineau said...

Personal opinion is that quilts have borders because the quilt maker is sick of making blocks! LOL!
Quilt as you go is fun too..............makes it easier than stuffing the whole thing under the machine. Although, with your new machine, you probably don't have to do that?

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

The quilt is looking so wonderful! I will be looking forward to your evaluation of the QAYG method.

glen

Quilter Kathy said...

Sometimes quilts are bossy that way!
I hate borders also :)
The quilt looks great as it is.

mzjohansen said...

That's a really nice memorial quilt!
Mine is way more simple. I cut 6" squares of the fabrics and have a wide border with all of the many photos. The shirts I got were black, grey, white, dark blue, dark maroon. One yellow and one pink - I had to add some snap and making a pattern seemed impossible with these fabrics!
Thanks so much for your QA input. Much appreciated.

Crystal @ Custom Memorial Quilts said...

Very nice, Nina-Marie - this quilt looks complete as-is and doesn't need a border. I've made several memorial quilts and always let the quilt tell me whether a border (or sashing or anything else) is required.