Why all the interest you ask? Well, I do have this monster commission memorial quilt that would like to be delievered to its new home. All three sections managed to get quilted this week and by the weekend I was ready to sew them all together. I thought I would blog out the method for you all, since it worked really well!
2. Then, I cleared off my big sewing table and squared up my quilt using my 16" square. I had quilted it to the edges just like each piece was its own individual quilt. I like this method since I could use regular 44" width fabric for the backing without having to piece a back or buy special backing. (TIP: Buy large yardages of fabric when its super cheapie for backings just like this! Got this RJR bolt for $2 a yard)
3. Then I took 2 columns, matched right sides together and pinned every 3" or so. Make sure you're careful when pinning any points you need to match.
4. I sewed them together on my machine (using the Accufeed 1/4" foot for all my Horizon owners!) with a smaller stitch length of 1.7 (which I normally use for piecing anyways). I used the regular 1/4" seam allowance.
5. I pressed the seams open and trimmed them to 1/8". DO NOT sew the seam at 1/8" or you'll never get it to press open - don't ask me how I know this (grin)!
6. Now this is where I differ from Katie's method. I took my strip of backing folded it length wise wrong sides together and sewed. I then took it to my ironing board and folded it over and ironed the seam under the new backing "tape". Katie takes hers - sews wrong sides together and pulls thru to the right side tube-style. That just didn't seem fun to me since my tube was 115" long LOL!
7. I then basted the long backing tape over the seam on back. I did this old skol with a needle and thread on my big table - but I imagine you could use pins if you like.
8. Then I used a blind applique stitch to stitch it down with matching thread. This was a tedious, quiet process - I sat in my easy chair with my knees up and my big block 16" ruler on my lap under the quilt to use as a hard surface - don't let your applique stitch go through to the front. Let me just say about this part - Thank God for Netflix!
|I picked this picture 'cause you can see how it went a little uneven|
As a side note: I did design this quilt so that there were very few points to match once the three columns were put together. Those that were there were easily matched because I pinned carefully - the way that you would pin if it was just a normal quilt top.
Anyways - I will definitely be doing this method again. I don't like to send out my work to a long arm machine quilter only because I like the quilt to have a "home hand made" look to it - plus I can do the design I had in mind for it. This also keeps costs down for me and my clients.
All that's left is the binding - which I'm thinking of doing by machine - for the first time ever! Funny how sewing down 390" of binding by hand doesn't sound fun (grin). . . .still I'll do a sample this week and we'll see if I like the look.
Hope this was clear - any questions please feel free to email me or comment!!
You can see more cool design boards at Judy's Patchworks!