Monday, May 30, 2011

Humble Beginnings - Design Board Monday

Despite how my design board looks, I've been quite busy this week in my sewing hole. Not to mention its the end of the school year - which is always a little nutsy!  Anyways, I did manage to start on my memorial quilt.  All the clothes were washed (without fabric softner), cut up into manageable pieces, and interfacing ironed on.  OMG!  putting the interfacing on the knits took forever!  Still most were cotton so that made it nice.  Once I had a big pile of cut up clothing, I started with making my flying geese.  I've learned long ago that I can't - I mean really I can't - make a decent flying goose to save my life.  So this time I just drafted out the patterns quickie quick on the computer - printed them off - and am now in the process  of paper piecing them.  Come out perfect every time and once you get the hang of paper piecing again goes pretty quick.  Its weird that they are so big though 6" by 8", but I like how the colors are coming together.  All the "geese" parts are clothing with most of the sky parts being from my stash. (I had no idea I still had so much "country" fabric in my stash LOL!)

But wait - that's not the exciting news of the week.  A week ago, I finally - did I mention  finally??? - took the plunge and upgraded my machine.  YAY!  My new Janome Horizon is now in its new home.   I couldn't set it up in my chaotic sewing room though - so did some spring cleaning and chased all those dust bunnies out.  Anyways - I'll blog about the Janome this week but am getting used to her and she to me.  Gotta teach her whose boss!!


Okay so next week - I promise, pinky swear, that I'll have more to show on my board!

See more great design board at Judy's Patchworks!

5 comments:

Carol A. Babineau said...

Go Nina-Marie! New horizon looks very promising too!
Can't wait to hear more.............

Kate said...

Congratulations on the new machine. Hope you get a new rythmn going soon.

Fun flying geese, love the spot of blue you added.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on the new machine...very exciting! I haven't seen that one before!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow! New machine and all! This quilt will be amazing, even with those pesky geese.
glen

Marti said...

Drool. Nice machine!

Great idea to paper piece the flying geese.