Monday, October 25, 2010

Hand Appliquing Christmas - Design Wall Monday

Well I've come to the realization that I'm going to have to spend more then 4 hours a week if I ever intend to get this project done by mid November!  So the rule this week is that if I sit down for some tv, I have to have the wallhanging in my hands.  I did manage to get the applique done on the main trunk which was really a chore.


After a bit of struggling, I came up with a new system of applique.  You see, usually I roll the background in my left hand and pinch the freezer paper and fabric with my thumb nail.  That doesn't work so well since A  - the back ground is really too bulky to roll and B - the applique is so big that it doesn't want to lie flat on the background (even pinned to the high heavens!!)  Soooooo - came up with the a nice comfy way to do it.  I sit in my little recliner and put the piece on my knees.  Under it lies one of the many useless catalogues that they send us this time of year.   The catalogue kept me from sewing it to my pants (which I did twice before changing what I was doing LOL!)    I then use my left hand to hold the applique and the background nice and flat , while my hand stitches.  Worked great - flat tree - a nice neat edge - what more could you want????
 
So this week I'm aiming to get all the applique done including the rest of the limbs - another smaller tree - and little snow island that is in the background.   Gosh that seems like a lot - better get after it!!


Oh - forgot - I included a picture of my clover needle threader - if you do hand work and don't have one of these - run - don't walk - and get one.  It has saved me endless hours of needle threading!!!

Look for other great inspirations on Judy's Design Wall Monday list!

12 comments:

Carol B in NH said...

Great job...........keep going or is that growing?

Is that needles threader really that good? I am still resisting getting one, but use those little wire things that wear out eventually.

Chris said...

I love the tree! Great work.

Unknown said...

I really like the fabric you chose for the tree!

Denise :) said...

Wow -- that tree is a lot of work, non? Good plan for finishing! :)

Cathy said...

That is going to be sooooooo pretty when it is done. I'm watching with much anticipation to see what the end result will be.

AnnieO said...

Very clever solution to sewing your project to your pants, too funny! Sounds like something I would do. Four hours a day is definitely a lot of dedication to this exciting project. Can't wait to see the end result.

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for the smile today! I pictured you going about your errands with the tree trunk sewn to your pants!

Angie in SoCal said...

I'll have to try your technique on my next shop hop block that has applique.

SewCalGal said...

This is going to be a spectacular piece. I've never attempted to do anything like this. Inspirational.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Kate said...

Didn't get to check out everone's design wall on Monday due to family commitments. You were right, the darkest brown fabric works really well for the tree bark.

kwiltnkats said...

Getting the technique of sewing one that will work for you is half the fight of accomplishment. You found a clever way to get to the work spot and a tool to quickly thread your needles. Those applique needles have the smallest of eyes........ Had to laugh when reading the comment from Quilter Kathy about a tree trunk sewn to your pants. In stitches aka LOL!

Janet said...

I have one of those needle threaders and I love it! (I have sewed things to my pants before...)