Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back from Sacred Threads 2009 Quilt Show

Its been a long time since I've had the chance for a road trip. My good friend Kristen and I did just that yesterday when we went to Columbus Ohio to see the Sacred Threads 2009 Quilt Show. We also took the chance to see Quilted Surface V in downtown Columbus. Let me just say both were Amazing!

After a 3 hour car ride, we found ourselves in a very quiet Columbus Downtown district. Since we hadn't had lunch we tracked down the Northern Farmer's Market which was bustling. Inside a renovated warehouse, there were vendors offering all sorts of prepared food and market wares. There were booths in all shapes and sizes! We decided on Indian take out for lunch and headed to the second level where there are plenty of tables. After a quickie tour of this great market, we headed to the Columbus Cultural Arts Center. There we saw a free QSDS exhibit which included some of my favorite teachers, Cynthia Corbin and Elizabeth Barton. It was a real treat to see one of Cynthia's new pieces in person. The space at the Center is great and a perfect place for an exhibit. The whole room was full of inspiration.

Then back into the car for a quick 15 minute ride to Reynoldsburg. There we attended the Artist Reception of Sacred Threads 2009. This is a national quilt show created by Vikki Pignatelli, which lets the quilter exhibit pieces that are part of her spiritual journey. In the jury process, the art work along with the artist's statement are both taken in consideration for entry. I was very honored to be included in this exhibit. We saw approximately 200 quilts that explored all different aspects of spirituality. The depth of the work was a little overwelming. So many times in the 3 hours it took me to see the show, my breath was literally taken away. A few times I had to walk away from a piece or embarass my self with tears over the artist statement. The organizers gave you a chance to leave a written comment to the artist if a particular quilt caught your heart. I left one for Dianne Dockery, Kutztown, PA who showed The Woman at the Well which really struck me. The organizers did a great job with the logistics of this quiltshow and made it very user friendly. I would highly recommend anybody to go view it and/or enter in 2011. This exhibit runs through June 28.

No comments: